It’s that time of the year when we escape the cities and the daily grind, rent a little holiday house by the beach, bush or river and unwind for a week or two.

If you own a holiday home that you rent out to others, you need to be aware of your responsibilities under the new Health and Safety regulations. By taking practical steps to address any potential hazards, you can ensure that your visitors have a safe and enjoyable stay. 

If you’re in the property management business, whether you run a property management company or you’re a landlord, you can be considered a PCBU (person conducting a business or undertaking) under the new Health and Safety at Work Act. That means you will need to ensure the health and safety of those using the property for work purposes, such as gardeners, cleaners and tradespeople.

However your responsibility is limited to the things you can influence and control. For example, you have a responsibility to ensure that the people you engage to do any work on the rental property are competent and appropriately qualified. It is their duty to ensure that the work they do does not cause harm – to themselves or anyone else on the property.

Tenants only have a responsibility under the regulations when work is being carried out on the property. They are expected to take reasonable care for their own and others’ health and safety, including following any reasonable instructions given by those doing the work. You are not responsible for the actions of your tenants.

If you need help understanding your responsibilities under the new Act contact the team at WorksafeReps to book a health and safety training course today.